According to stories handed from generation to generation, the Municipality of Ragay was formerly located along Paculago River and was named after it. During those years until 1753, the town of Paculago is incorporated with the town of Lupi. It was inhabited by bicolano, tagalog and visayan speaking individuals and communities. During that same period, moro pirates were continuously raiding the settlement in Paculago and plenty of these moros died and were buried in the place. However, due to the Christian belief that prohibited burying of moros together with Christians, and due to the continuous raiding of their settlement by the moros, the settlers left Paculago and transferred to the upper portion of Ragay River. The new settlement was called “Hagay” which means single, pure or all Christian.
After the establishment of the town of Hagay, the people lived for several years of relative calm. Then the moros once again attacked the settlers which caused the town to be transferred again to sampaloc or kaburihan, farther away from the sea making it very difficult for moro raiders to attack. On this place, the concrete part of the church and tombs can still be seen or observed.
When the moros finally stop raiding the settlers in 1840’s, the town was transferred to its present location. The spaniards then came and a soldier asked a lady her name. Without understanding what the soldier was asking, the lady answered Hagay but the soldier mistakenly heard the name as Ragay. The place was then on named Ragay.
At that time, the territory of Ragay lie at 128’53” east longitude and 130’49” north latitude. Its boundaries are the town of Labo to the north, Ragay Gulf to the south, barangay Baoy to the east and barangay Elcano to the west (Catabangan, now Godofredo Reyes Sr.). From 1847 to 1848, Barangay Kilbay, which was formerly part of Guinayangan, Tayabas (now Quezon Province) was included in the Municipality of Ragay (from Sinagawsawan to Ragay). On the other hand, the present day Godofredo Reyes Sr (formerly Elcano before 1847) was formerly part of Labo but because of the petition filed by Ragay to the civil governor of both Camarines, Elcano was transferred to Ragay. The said petitioners were: Pedro Urdan, Mariano Resurrecion, Lucio Ruy, and Santiago Esmena. The reasons for the petition were the difficulty in transacting with the government in Labo, the distance and smaller road which was frequented by robbers. The petition was approved by Sr M.O. Lacosta Civil Governor of both Camarines. For the turn-over ceremony, the Municipality of Ragay sent delegates to Elcano to receive the Barangay. The delegates were composed of Rev. Miguel Gonzales, parish priest, Valeriano Vasques, Captain Municipal, Fausto Santiago, delegate Isidoro Palad, Cirilo Genio, Cornelio Abengoza, Francisco Robles, Modesto Avila, Mariano Genio, Graciano Avila, Mariano Malicsi, Crisologo Sulit, (Tribunal Secretary).
In 1885, a Spaniard, in the person of Don Rafael Calvo, organized the community into township and fixed its territorial boundaries. He also improved the church and built a shipyard at Ogtoc Point, where they were able to launch several locally built ships. This historical record may be the reason why the Gulf was named after the town of Ragay.
In 1936, Executive Order No. 56 was issued by Honorable Manuel L. Quezon, President of the Republic of the Philippine, separating Barangay Kilbay and Danawin from the Municipality of Ragay and creating another town called Del Gallego. Consequently, the Municipal boundaries were revised (still valid at present) and the new boundaries are Sosong Daraga to the North, Catabangan River to the west, Malinao creek at Barangay Banga Caves to the east and Ragay Gulf to the south.
This historical record was made possible by the extensive researches patiently conducted by Ex-Mayor Jose D. Garcia and Ex-Councilor Restituto Egwaras in the year 1941 at the National Library under Volume V of the Board of Cavada. The sources on the origin of the name of the town was also made by Ex-Mayor Jose D. Garcia with the help of the two eldest inhabitants of Ragay, Messrs Victor Villarez, (born on April 1, 1854) and Fausto Abengoza, (born on April 7, 1854).
Ragay continued its growth under different administrations, despite the fact that it was accessible only by train for quite some time. With the opening of the Quirino Highway in 1994, its economy started to move upwards, providing the people with numerous opportunities.
The past municipal presidentes and/or mayors are as follows:
|President Tomas Delgado||1901-1903 (Elected) American Military Government|
|President Serapio M. Garcia||1903-1907 (Elected) American Civil Commission|
|President Cecilio Ruy||1907-1909 (Elected) American Civil Commission|
|President Cecilio Aquino||1909-1913 (Elected) American Civil Commission|
|President Catalino Abonales||1913-1916 (Elected) Jones Law|
|President Cerilo Aquino||1916-1922 (Elected) Jones Law|
|President Aquino Gregorio||1922-1925 (Elected) Jones Law|
|President Norberto Pamarang||1925-1931 (Elected) Jones Law|
|President Cirilo Aquino||1931-1934 (Elected)|
|Mayor Tomas Avila Andaya||1934-1937 (Elected)|
|Mayor Sergio Dauran||1937-1940 (Elected) Commonwealth|
|Mayor Jose Garcia||1940-1942 (Elected) Commonwealth|
|Mayor Apolinar Aquino||1943-1944 Japanese Occupation|
|Mayor Jose Garcia||1944-1947 under the Commonwealth Gov’t Phil. Republic|
|Mayor Eutiquio Genio||1947-1951 Phil, Republic|
|Mayor Julian Dauran||1951-1955 Phil. Republic|
|Mayor Nestor Protacio||1956-1960 (Elected) Phil. Republic|
|Mayor Bernardo V. Sebello||1960-1967 (Elected) Phil. Republic|
|Mayor Renato E. Aquino||1968-1986 (Elected) Phil. Republic|
|OIC Mayor Maruja A. Senar||1986-1987 (Appointed) Under the freedom Constitution|
|OIC Mayor Benjamin Glinoga||1987-1988 (Appointed)|
|Mayor Maruja A. Senar||1988-1998 (Elected) Phil. Republic|
|Mayor Renato E. Aquino||1998-2001 (Elected) Phil. Republic|
|Mayor Renato E. Aquino||2001-2004 (Elected) Phil. Republic|
|Mayor Renato E. Aquino||2004 -2007 (Elected) Phil. Republic|
|Mayor Ricardo B. Aquino||2007-2016 (Elected) Phil. Republic|
|Mayor Thaddeus A. Ramos||2016-present (Elected) Phil. Republic|